Dear 9-year-old Anitta,
On
October 31, 2004, you will scare your little sister so intensely that she will
trip over a toy on the ground and tumble backwards. Due to this regrettable
event, she will have accidentally hit her chin on a coffee table and bust it
open, causing enormous amounts of blood and tears to go all over the place. Due to the scare mishap, you
will cause a long, unfortunate visit to the emergency room for three stitches. The
visit to the emergency room will take longer than expected, so
trick-or-treating for that year will be cancelled. But I guess you deserve it
right?
Now,
at 18-years-old, I honestly wish that I hadn't done that because every time I
see the tiny, red scar under her chin, I feel a pang of regret and utter
disbelief that I caused my baby sister to miss trick-or-treating. I realize
that accidents happen, but this accident could have been prevented if you had decided not to scare her. So that’s the new plan, on Halloween in fifth
grade, you cannot scare anyone! Even if it means that you will have one less
laugh; don’t worry about it, believe me, you won’t even remember the joke in a
couple of years.
As
soon as you get home after school, do the things you usually do: put your
backpack in the kitchen, wash your hands, and grab a snack. After the snack,
you usually watch TV for about and hour, but you’re not going to do that on Halloween.
Instead, you will dump all the candy you received from school onto the floor,
and sort through it all. Eventually, Mom will scold the both of you for having eaten too much candy, and you will
be forced to put the rest away after cleaning up your wrappers. Then, you and
Angela will proceed to the toy room. You get there before she does, so you
think of an idea to scare her; after all, it will be Halloween. But once again, DO
NOT SCARE HER!!! If you do, you will be filled with regret for the next few
years. And after the accident, guess who is going to act as her personal slave
because of the remorse they carry? That’s right, it’s you.
Unless
you want to be filled with regret, sadness, and skip trick-or-treating for the year, I suggest
that you do not scare Angela on Halloween in 2004. Believe me, as the older and
wiser you, getting to trick-or-treat instead of sitting in the emergency room is the way to go. Good Luck!
Sincerely,
18-year-old Anitta
Sincerely,
I think that you gave successful advice. I like that you explained so vividly what went wrong and how you want to go about fixing it. If your 9-year old self read this letter, I'm sure she would understand how serious you are about wishing you hadn't scared your sister.
ReplyDelete--James Hanly
I really liked the way you started out as 9 year old anitta and worked up to the 18 year old anitta, it really gave the letter a sense of how much time has passed and how much you have changed and learned from that event. I think your letter is honest and sincere and it sounds like if you had the chance you would do things differently next time.
ReplyDeleteHannah Vallie
Well done! Your paper reminded me of Back to the Future when Marty writes a letter to Doc telling him how he was going to die in the future. You started the letter explaining to your past self how important it was to NOT scare your sister and the events that unfolds. Then you write about how much regret you feel, which will make your past self understand how much pain you're in now. In general, your paper was well organized, had good thoughts, and wrote in your own voice which makes it more believable to your past self.
ReplyDelete